Monday, August 16, 2010

Opportunities

I have been bothered all weekend by an opportunity that I let completely pass me by.  I had the chance to teach two of my daughters something, and I let it go.  The sad part was that I didn't even recognize it at the time.  Was it a life changing event for my kids?  No.  Would it have been fun and shown my kids know that I care about them?  Absolutely!  But I failed to see it and I am mad at myself for that.  McKenna wanted to show her friend how to take apart a crab for the crab meat.  She doesn't eat it, but she likes taking them apart.  Well they were making an absolute mess!  Every crab I picked up had been half torn apart and I was getting annoyed.  I told them to stop messing around and go play.  I was on edge because I had two grumpy babies, I was trying to keep an eye on all of my kids and still enjoy the evening, it was starting to rain and I was worried more about what other people thought than on doing what I thought was right for my kiddos.  I am not usually like that, but just so happened to be that day.  A bit later in the evening, Kaitlyn came up to the table and said she wanted to help with the crabs.  She proceeded to grab a knife and started stabbing the shell of the crab.  I told her to stop because she was ruining the crab.  She did it again about a minute later so I sent her to time out.  I am a horrible mother!  I completely missed the opportunity to put her up on my lap and show her how to do it right.  The thought didn't even pass through my mind.  I also made a mistake by sending McKenna away when she wasn't even doing anything wrong.  Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean she couldn't do it.  She was having a great time "helping" us and really enjoyed showing her friend how to do something new.  That is a big deal with McKenna and her fragile ego and me being the idiot I was that night, I am sure I bruised that ego a bit when I told her she was making a mess.  The learning experience that passed me by is something that I ultimately learned a great lesson from.  I can't be so busy, so uptight, so pre-occupied with the moment, so worried about what other people think, that i just neglect those small moments that really are what matter.  How much fun would Kaitlyn have had if I had just taken 5 minutes and shown her how to do it right?  It really has made me take a step back today and re-evaluate how I go through each day and my responses to my children's questions and pleas and actions.

3 comments:

  1. I like that you started this blog, Jules. I am looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. McKenna came and sat in Grandpa's lap and attempted to open crab claws for him.When she was having difficulty opening the crab claws , grandpa held her hand with the knife and showed her how to do it. Grandpa was the beneficiary of McKenna's expertise at opening crab claws. He loved the bite site morsels. He only wished the butter had been closer so she could heve dipped the crab claw in butter for him!!Maybe the moment was for Grandpa!

    ReplyDelete