Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Really?

I get stopped A LOT when I go to the grocery store with all six of my kids.  The thing is, my kids are excellent in the store.  It's not like they are screaming or running all over the place.  But we are like a miniature parade coming through, especially because I have to use two carts, so we attract a lot of attention.  I was in Walmart the Saturday before Mother's Day this past year (not the smartest of days to go, I know).  It seemed like there were a million people in there and half of them stopped me to talk.  They were all positive comments so it wasn't a big deal, but our shopping trip was getting quite ridiculously long.  I was about half-way through with my shopping when another lady stopped me.  "These aren't all yours, are they?" she asked me.  I smiled as I usually do when I get asked that question and answered proudly "yep, all mine!"  Her response caught me off guard and left me bewildered really.  She looked at me and said "I'm sorry."  I wasn't sure how to respond at first, but I quickly said "well I'm not.  We have a lot of fun together."  I am not the quickest thinker on my feet, and as I have often thought about that conversation, a million different responses come to me--things I wish I would have said and other things that I'm glad I didn't say because they would have been quite rude to her.  But it just baffles me how it was the day before Mother's Day and there I was having a great time with my kids and someone would "apologize" for the fact that they were all mine.  I'm not sorry at all.  None of my kids were a "mistake" and I chose to have each and every one of them when I did.  Okay, so the whole twins thing wasn't planned, but you know what I mean.  When and how many children you have is a very personal decision.  I hope I never find myself judging other people's decisions about the timing and number of children they have.  So what would you have said and have you had any experiences like this?

4 comments:

  1. hmm... I can think of lots of FUNNY things to say, but none of them are all that kind and charitable. If you still want to hear them, I'll tell you next time we're together! hehe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I to get a lot of looks when I go out with my kids. The funniest incident actually happened to my husband. We were on vacation and someone came up to him and told him he had so many kids he needed to buy a bus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark(Grandpa) replied on the question asked-"Are these all yours" that you should have replied yes, but I had to leave 3 home!
    On the response voiced I'm sorry - Mark replied"Well gosh, I am sorry for you too. You are missing a great blessing"

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so familiar sounding. Just a few weeks ago, a lady in target saw me and said, 'and I thought I had my hands full.' I just half smiled and kept on walking. 5 minutes later I bumped into her again and she apologized for offending me. I guess I'm the one that needs to learn to respond more positively to strangers and their weird comments. I like Mark's responses. Maybe I'll use them sometime.

    ReplyDelete